CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, March 8, 2008

indecisive?

What do lime & chili almonds, frosted animal crackers, cherry laffy taffy and pepper jack cheese have in common?? Beside a wicked belly ache?

After a couple hours of snowboarding with friends, we stopped at a gas station to get a quick snack. I wandered around the store trying to decide what to get. I couldn't decide on one thing so I ended up buying all the above mentioned snacks. This illustrates a common theme in my life as of late. I may have a bit of a problem with making decisions - I think this realization is called an epiphany ;). From the tiny 'snack' decisions all the way up to the big 'life' decisions I struggle! Why is that? I thought I had a fear of commitment but now I think what I have is a fear of making the wrong decision. Earlier this week I was talking to a friend about her current relationship. My advice was that she can't live her life thinking 'what if...' (as in what if he isn't the one). Eventually you have to make a decision then pray and hope for the best. Things may or may not work out the way you thought but its better than looking back and regretting time wasted or a pile of missed opportunities.

I should probably take my own advice and stop worrying about all the 'what ifs'. Just might prevent a belly ache next time I stop to get a snack!

2 comments:

HeRoosSheRoos said...

I hear ya loud and clear sister-I used to be (and still am sometimes) the queen of indecisiveness. My weakness is second guessing every little decision (including $5 purchases). Wouldn't it be nice to make decisions and never look back? I will credit myself with marrying Rick. It's the one decision that I've never looked back on or questioned in the slightest. Thank goodness because that's a pretty BIG one.
As for the snacks, I guess you just have to try them all until you find the one that tastes just right and settles the cravings (catch the metaphor here?).

Angela said...

you should start playing the phoebe game (when she was trying to figure out why she was so mad at ross - if you need help remember, ask me and i'll refresh your memory)!! haha. anyway... I think that indecisiveness can be OK until it's creating a problem. if you're not sure what you're gonna order, who cares? though, with your snack situation, that might not be the best idea... as you said, wicked belly ache. i think that often times we deep down know what we want to do, but our fear and insecurities create doubts and therefore make us second guess ourselves, leading to indecision. It seems to me that in life... God trusts us to make our decisions. yes, he wants us to pray and think about our "big" decisions (not our gas station snack run necessarily, but you know). but more often than not - he's trusts our capability to make a decision that will be to our benefit. and so sometimes we may feel we're not really getting guidance or direction, but in reality He's supporting us in what we want to do. Knowing that we'll learn something we need to know. If it's not a right answer... we'll know. He will surely let us know and throw a red flag on the play. What it comes down to is faith. Not only faith in God and His plan, but faith in yourself. It's hard let go of our inhibitions, but it's often those inhibitions that keep us stagnant. I don't know. It seems to me that in my life, the things that are supposed to be just fall into place once i put forth the effort and cast aside my fear. The things that are NOT meant to be end up feeling like i'm beating my head up against a brick wall. So have faith in God and yourself, and then just go for it :)